Re: [BKARTS] Query: fighting insects in original book plates

First thing I would do would be to clean both sides of each plate, laid
on a clean flat surface, with a soft brush to remove whatever matter
there is on them now.   Then, if you do not already have one, I would
securely wrap the bunch in an acid-free paper and put them in a
well-made clamshell box.  Then keep the box in a protected environment
and keep an eye out for critters that may infest the place.  One such
bug is called, variously, a "drug-store" beetle, or a "cigarette"
beetle.  It's black, a little more than 1/16" long and it flies.  We had
them here for a while, very persistent, but we eliminated them and no
longer a problem.

Charles Schermerhorn
New Leaf Bookbindery
Lompoc, CA

Can anyone suggest a way to eliminate various types of insects
including some that shed skins? They populate about 50 original book
plates, each ca 22 x 45cm or 9 x 18 inches that were stored
incorrectly. The individual book plates pretty much cover the colour
spectrum, and the materials used for making these plates for a cookery
book range from dried food items, such as citrus fruits, flower
petals, tortillas, pulses, herbs and spices to various mostly woven
natural fabrics. Many plates involve beads and glittery materials.
Text was ink jet printed on paper or hand written with felt tips on
coarse weave paper. All plates are backed with grey card, some of
which show bore holes and other signs of insect life. There are no
signs of mould or similar, and there is no excessive moisture.
We would be grateful for any advice to get rid of these bugs whilst
limiting damage to the plates. Could perhaps anyone also share their
ideas for storing these plates?

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>