[BKARTS] Robert Bringhurst's New World Suite Number Three

The Center for Book Arts is Pleased to Announce
our 30th Anniversary Publication

Robert Bringhurst
New World Suite Number Three
a poem in four movements for three voices

This innovative interdisciplinary work intersects at the pinnacle of
creative writing, graphic design, book art, and performance. This is a poem
for three voices, meant to be read by three people at once. In addition to
the poem, the author has written an afterword articulating the evolution of
his polyphonic poetry, documenting for the reader a history of this
definitive edition. It is made to be performed, and his essay concludes

        The printed text should be as fine as it can be,
         but it should never be the final incarnation.
         A book must be a place where things begin.

We are printing the text letterpress in the Center's Jane Meade Timken
Printshop. Our Master Printer, Barbara Henry, came to the Center after
managing the Bowne & Co. letterpress facility at the South Street Seaport
Museum for 20 years. The display type is being set by hand, and the text is
printed in Monotype Dante, with composition by the Bixler Foundry in
Skaneateles, NY. Each line is then hand wordspaced at the Center by Ms.
Henry to Robert Bringhurst's exacting specifications. Mr. Bringhurst has
created the typographic design for the book, as well as the text.

The binding structure is designed by Hedi Kyle specifically for New World
Suite Number Three. Each volume within the book forms its own lectern when
it opens. Our Master Binder, Mirah von Wicht, studied bookbinding in
Germany, and Conservation in the USA, and has worked at the Metropolitan
Museum of Art in New York.

At the end of the volume containing the essay, we will be printing the List
of Subscribers. This will include the names of all those who have paid for
their subscription in advance of publication. In order to help finance this
project, we are offering a special pre-publication discount price of
$950.00 during this period. Once we have closed the pre-publication period,
the price will be $1,500.00.

Robert Bringhurst has published more than a dozen books of poetry, and is
the author of the classic work, The Elements of Typographic Style (3rd ed.,
2004).

You can see photos and subscribe online to New World Suite Number Three at
http://www.centerforbookarts.org/art/nws3.html

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com