[BKARTS] Leather measured in oz?

With reference to the pink leather discussed last month, I see that leather
thickness is measured in ounces. It was implied that two ounces was thick.
Could someone let me know how the measurement system works? I think here in
Australia we simple refer to the thickness in millimeters, but it would be
handy to understand other systems in case of ordering from overseas.

Thanks to all you clever people out there.
Linda