Re: [BKARTS] Casing/binding

I think "casing" is when the boards and coverings are made up
separately and the block is attached by the mull glued onto the
spine.  A "binding" occurs when the cords from the sewn block are
laced into the boards and the covering is then applied.

Bound books are a single entity, whereas cased books exist in two parts glued together.

Casing in developed in the early 19th century with the popularity of cloth coverings, and was quite suitable for machine work, thus hastening (and cheapening) book production.

I think.

Susan <student bookbinder>