Re: [BKARTS] Casing/binding

This may be factually true, but if someone asks "Do you do case
binding?" I say yes, because in our group it implies that I am able to
both assemble new text-blocks in a case, bound and imprinted if
necessary, as opposed to simple repair.  There's never been a
contradiction in terms to us, however arcane the technical language may be.

Charles Schermerhorn

James Tapley wrote:

I'm sorry but "case binding" is a contradiction in terms.
A case is not a binding, it is a type of cover. For examples: a book  in a
case covering is not bound, it is cased. The act of putting a book in a  case
cover is not binding it is casing or casing in. Machines which do the job  are
casing in machines, not binding machines.
The fact that many people choose to call casing, in all but economic terms
an inferior method of covering a book, "binding" only demonstrates the
corruption of both craft and understanding. Of course I realize that this use of  the
term "binding" is only meant to mean any method of holding the pages  within
a cover. That's a loss.
But not for nothing does the pig's ear choose to call itself a silk purse.
Best, James

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>