Re: [BKARTS] Casing/binding query (fwd)

You guys are confusing the heck out of me.

Right now I am reading Middleton's _English Craft Bookbinding_, and he does indeed make a distinction between casing and binding, at least in English work. The few other authors I have read (Cockerell, Crane, Diehl, Lehmann-Haupt, Wroth) also make this distinction, pointing out, of course, the certain medieval practices that mirror casing techniques but also emphasizing true case production as a result of the machine age of the 19th c.

Semantics and personal preferences aside, am I missing something here?

Susan <still a student>

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:
And how great are they. I can sew a book on tapes, back to 90 degrees, and
lace in the same as I can cords. Likewise sawn in cords can be used
in-boards just as easily as for a cased binding. Is a vellum binding  a
binding or a cased book if I lace the slips through at the joint. I can
also make it in boards or cased. What if I make a millimeter binding in
boards, or just a plain ol' cloth cover. All can  just as easily (and
easier) be made as a case with NO loss in strength or other structural
sacrifices. Are all those lovely old limp vellum /paper books bound or
cased? What about the "true" Bradel (what we call them here -
gebrochenerrücken in German) found on 18th/19th century German books. That
was originally made in-boards, and some were even sewn on raised cords,
though you'd never no it from the outside.

I have NEVER heard a distinction being made as you make it. I learned in
the German tradition and all books are einbände and gebunden. You have the
franzband, the deckenband, the pappband, the sprungrückeneinband, the
pergamentband, ... Band = binding.

Bruce summed it up well. In the context of this list, I favor the broadest
definition.

p.