Re: [BKARTS] Casing/binding query (fwd)

Don't let it confuse you. It is all book binding,

You guys are confusing the heck out of me.

True case production was a product of 19th century industrialization, but it is still binding.

Right now I am reading Middleton's _English Craft Bookbinding_,
and he does indeed make a distinction between casing and binding,
at least in English work.  The few other authors I have read
(Cockerell, Crane, Diehl, Lehmann-Haupt, Wroth) also make this
distinction, pointing out, of course, the certain medieval
practices that mirror casing techniques but also emphasizing true
case production as a result of the machine age of the 19th c.

Absolutely not. You're fine. Just keep an open mind and learn the semantics, if for no other reason than to be able to understand what is being written about. Since you seem to have manuals from a range of period, read them in order to see how definitions and techniques have evolved. In binding, it's all variations on a theme, and the distinctions are often VERY subtle, hence our debates.

Semantics and personal preferences aside, am I missing something
here?

Even when you think you've learned it all, you still learn more... It never ends, and that's part of the fun.

Susan <still a student>

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC