Re: [BKARTS] Decorated Bookcloth and Frank Lehmann's recent post

     I had this same question several months ago.  It was suggested I make my own bookcloth, using fabrics I found in fabric stores (most stores sell by the half-yard), and backing the cloth with a fusible backing material.  This opens up a world of wonderful bookcloths.  I particularly like brocade fabrics and damasks, and am now able to incorporate these into bookbinding.  No supplier
of bookcloth will have a selection as extensive as you can make for yourself, and very inexpensively, too.  I generally do an extended piece of leather to cover the spine, make the body of the cover of a fancy bookcloth, and do the corners in leather.  Quite nice looking.
    I have to comment on Frank Lehmann's recent posting about making leather labels, one of the best postings I have seen in this group.  Such labels can add dramatically to the appeal of a book and open up a whole new area of book design.   Once one masters the basics of leather paring, the procedure is even simpler than stamping the spine directly.

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

 The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.