Re: [BKARTS] Leather measured in oz?

Linda,

Today, the ounce measuring system is predominantly used in the US but even
there less so now than a few years ago.  A conversion table is provided
below:

0.5 ounce = 0.2mm
1.0 ounce = 0.4mm
1.5 ounce = 0.6mm
2.0 ounce = 0.8mm
2.5 ounce = 1.0mm
3.0 ounce = 1.2mm

In deciding the substance of leather for a given binding, the size,
structure and design of the book and its binding need to be considered.
Structurally a thicker rather than lighter skin may be desired, but
ascetically a thinner skin will look better.  So sometimes a compromise will
need to be reached between strength and aesthetics.

As manufacturers of leather for bookbinding we believe that there are
optimum substances that different leathers should be produced to.  For
example, we manufacture the following skins to these substances:

Natural (milk) calf skins 0.6mm - 0.7mm
East Indian Calf (older animal) - 0.7 - 0.8mm
Sheepskin Skiver (for labels) - 0.3 - 0.4mm
Naturally grained  Goatskins (such as Chieftain) - 1.00mm
Artificial Grained Goat and Calf - 0.6-0.8mm

The above figures should be used as a reference only, since there are
instances, where the skins need to be produced to a greater (or lesser)
substance.  For example, the covering of a large and heavy book in calf, may
need to use a skin with a 1.0mm substance.

So with respect to your message regarding a 2 ounce (0.8mm) pink leather (,
tanning method and finishing issues aside), I should thing that this
thickness would be ideal for many bookbinding applications.

regards,

David

David Lanning J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. sales@xxxxxxxxx http://www.hewit.com Mobile: 07947 754842 Voice Mail: +44 (0) 1494 435314

Edinburgh Numbers