Re: [BKARTS] Cleaning vinyl records

Josh,

I don't really care what you use yo clean your vinyl. I use water. However naptha is nothing like gasoline. Gasoline is a very good solvent for many substances, where naptha is solvent for most oils. I haven't tried it on vinyl records, but it cleans vinyl binders better than most anything else.

Regards,
Ed

Josh Kuperman <josh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yike! Lighter fluid is naphtha - it is very similar to using
gasonline. It is a very strong solvent. I would think if you aren't
careful it could dissolve vinyl lps. (It's great for removing
stickon labels ) It strikes me that this can't be good advice. I've
heard of washing records. I believe there is a group that argues LPs
should be played wet - using distilled water. I thought that
DiscWasher was largely alchohol, but they my be their CD cleaning
solution. I really wish if at all possible when recommending
cleaning solutions people were a little more specific using generic
names for the chemicals when possible!

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@xxxxxxxxx