Re: [BKARTS] gluing photographs

Rena,

I have been attaching black and white photos to cover weight stock. I
didn't try straight PVA because I felt it might be difficult to get a
thin enough film without fussing a bit.

My first efforts were with wheat paste. This was fairly successful and
I liked the fact that it would be possible to get the fine b/w prints
back out of the book (likely destroying the book in the process
though). The paste was a bit tricky because it doesn't grab the page
very strongly at first. My technique was thus: paste the back of the
photo, position it on the page, cover it with a photo-sized piece of
plexiglass and hold it for 30 seconds or so while the paste got a hold
on the page. Then moved the page (without the plex) to the nipping
press (light pressure) for a minute or two. Finally, remove from the
nipping press and dry under weight.

Problems: my page stock was 80# cover weight, the high moisture content
of the paste expanded the photo and created stress on the page after
dry (the photo shrank back to normal).

On later copies of the project I used 50/50 paste and PVA mix.
Reversibility was lost but I don't consider it a big issue in this
case. The PVA added a lot of tack and it was much easier to get the
photo to grab the page. I could abandon the plexiglass-and-hold step,
moving right to the nipping press (no more than 30 seconds necessary
there). The liquid provided by the paste made it easy to apply a
smooth, thin film of adhesive to the picture. The lower moisture
content relative to 100% paste, and the faster working process, reduced
the stretch of the pictures, reducing the stress on my finished pages.

Regards,
Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx