[BKARTS] Cord & Thread

***I'm sending this one again as plain text the first seem to get a little
jarbled - sorry***

David,

I can help you with one part of your query -

> Also, I still find the designation of cord weights cryptic, and would
> appreciate it if someone could explain it to me.

One lea is the size of a yarn spun to 300 yards from 1 pound of linen flax,
so a 25-lea linen would have 7500 yards per pound etc.

Most cops are sold in metric measurements, so to workout the length of a cop
of thread, you will need to apply the following calculation - Lea size/cord
x 600 = m/kg

  e.g. 25/3 x 600/4 = 1250m/250g cop  (2485 yards/pound)

So for 250g cops:
  18/3 has   900 metres of thread
  25/3 has 1250 metres of thread
  40/3 has 2000 metres of thread