Re: [BKARTS] Florida & Book Arts

At 12:37 PM 12/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:
With plans to visit Florida in February, I would appreciate suggestions for
seeing something of book arts --between relatives.

And if you'll meet me -- I'll spring for the java!

Thanks,

S T I L L * D A N C I N G
A L I C E
______________________

Yes, Tammy's right: we are wearing long sleeves today in Florida. Alice, as well as the rest of you who will be traveling here this winter--or anytime, for that matter: there's nothing quite like a Florida summer... you are welcome to visit us at the Jaffe Book Arts Collection in Boca Raton, and/or at Convivio Bookworks in Lake Worth.

The Jaffe Collection is arguably the state's premier book arts library, and
we're very agreeable to showing books to visitors. Our only requirement is
that you make an appointment with us so we know you're coming. We're
located at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library in Boca Raton,
which is about 50 miles north of Miami. You can email me for an
appointment, or phone the collection at 561 297 0226. We can also show you
our progress on the Florida Atlantic University Book Arts Center while
you're here: we're setting up studios for letterpress printing, bookbinding
and hand papermaking. You might even be able to take a workshop while
you're here. The semester that begins in January we'll be bringing you
workshops with Maddy Rosenberg, Emily Martin, Val VanSice, and British
paper engineer Paul Johnson. (News on these workshops will be released
shortly.)

Convivio Bookworks is the small press I run with partner Seth Thompson at
our home in Lake Worth--a mostly nighttime and weekend operation. We
produce limited edition letterpress printed books and broadsides. Lake
Worth is a quirky Old Florida town just south of West Palm Beach. We've had
a few visits over the years from folks on the Book Arts and Letterpress
Lists, even some from as far away as Oregon and Calgary. Our shop is small
and a tour's not going to take you very long, but we'll offer you a nice
visit and good coffee to boot.
        As with the Jaffe Collection, we'd appreciate knowing when you'd
be coming. We'd want to be sure to be there for you, and also make sure you
don't catch us on a particularly messy day. Contact us through our website:

http://www.conviviobookworks.com

I've also enjoyed visits myself to the Smathers Library at the University
of Florida in Gainesville (great fore-edge paintings, for instance), and
the home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings is a state park open to the public in
nearby Cross Creek. And the Sackner Archive of Concrete & Visual Poetry is
in Miami Beach, though I'm not sure if it's a place you can readily visit.

Happy Sunshine State Travels!
John

Convivio Bookworks
Lake Worth, Florida