[BKARTS] painting on leather book?

I am a book designer and was hoping for some expert advise for painting decorative stripes on a goat skin bound book.

The skin has a bit of a grain to it and is soft, but not too spongy or
absorbent. The painting needs to be crisp and even. I'm not familiar
with the materials so I'm not sure if it is better to use oil or water
based paint. I imagine the design would probably require the use of a
mask to outline the stripe area. I'm not sure if there is a masking
material that would create a tight/crisp edge that paint would not seep
under and would also release from the skin when finished and not damage
or pigment the skin in any way. I have a sample of the skin so that a
test could be performed in advance of the real book. Attached is a jpeg
of the design I need painted on to this single edition. Any advice
would be appreciated. Thanks, greg

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>