[BKARTS] Special Collections Research Center at Syracuse University Library announces the Courant

The Special Collections Research Center at Syracuse University Library
is pleased to announce the publication of the first issue of its new
semiannual news bulletin, the Courant, which is available in both print
and electronic formats.

Appearing each fall and spring, the Courant features articles about
acquisitions, donations, exhibitions, researcher publications, and more.
Its title recalls the name of its predecessor, the Syracuse University
Library Associates Courier, which ceased publication following its last
issue in 2001 (an index volume is now in preparation). Like the Courier,
the Courant is sponsored by the Library Associates.

The wood engraving featured in our masthead -- the horse and readers
galloping back into history -- is one of two designs that celebrated
artist John DePol created for the Courier in 1962. DePol endorsed our
revival of his design for the Courant, but with great regret and sadness
we learned of his passing yesterday morning, just as we were preparing
this announcement.

The inaugural issue of the Courant is dedicated to the memory of Peter
Graham, who served as our university librarian from 1998 until his
untimely death this past August. Many will remember "PG" as a great
advocate of special collections, which indeed he was.

The purpose of the Courant is to stimulate conversation among the
scholars, librarians, students, collectors, benefactors, booksellers,
and everyone who cares about the unique slice of the cultural and
historical record that resides in the Special Collections Research
Center at Syracuse University Library. To download or request a print
copy, and to learn more about our collections and programs, please visit
our web site at http://scrc.syr.edu.

Christian Dupont
Director, Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library

Peter D. Verheyen
Preservation & Digital Access Librarian
Special Collections Research Center