From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of gregory
mastrianni
Sent: 16 December 2004 16:23
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: painting on leather book?

--Apple-Mail-7-352936580

I am a book designer and was hoping for some expert advise for painting
decorative stripes on a goat skin bound book.

The skin has a bit of a grain to it and is soft, but not too spongy or
absorbent. The painting needs to be crisp and even. I'm not familiar with
the materials so I'm not sure if it is better to use oil or water based
paint. I imagine the design would probably require the use of a mask to
outline the stripe area. I'm not sure if there is a masking material that
would create a tight/crisp edge that paint would not seep under and would
also release from the skin when finished and not damage or pigment the skin
in any way. I have a sample of the skin so that a test could be performed in
advance of the real book. Attached is a jpeg of the design I need painted on
to this single edition. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, greg

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

--Apple-Mail-7-352936580

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

---