[BKARTS] Bookbinder's Hammer Question

Hello Everyone,

How's the back end of bookbinder's hammer used?  I've never had this
explained to me, never read anything that would anwer this question, and
find nothing online about it.  What I'm referring to is the "claw" end
of the hammer's head which is shaped something like a hammerhead shark.

Thank you.

T. A. Brown
Franconia, New Hampshire  USA