Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinder's Hammer Question

http://www.fotosearch.com/PHD248/os04001/

I have one of these, too, and I use it in the same way that I described
earlier.
Charles Schermerhorn

Timothy Arthur Brown wrote:

Hi,

The couple responses to this post so far have been helpful... but also
common sense.  To be more specific, my question had to do with the sort
of claw appearing at http://www.fotosearch.com/PHD248/os04001/ and not
the type of hammer pictured at
http://www.indiana.edu/~libpres/manual/tools/backham.html.  The hammer
in question appears to be essentially a modified cobbler's hammer.  But
what is the function of the specially shaped claw?

Thanks again.

T. A. Brown
Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

James Tapley wrote:

The "claw" is designed to enable one to get right up against the raised
cords in backing a book so sewn. Arno Werner also used it to clean off the spine
after backing but he is the only binder I've known to so use it. Best,  James

James Tapley Hand Bookbinder 2077 Thirteenth Street Sarasota, FL 34237 USofA Tel 941 366 8248

                Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>