[BKARTS] Two-Volume Girdle Book

Greg wrote:

> I am new to bookbinding so this may be a naive question.
> Because the book isn't 'bound' right into the leather case,
> isn't there a lot strain on the book's binding as it hangs down?

Good question, Greg. Easier to mend a book than a heart. Yes, there is some
strain on it. Some early examples had clasps, which solved that problem.
During the tests in my studio both volumes stayed in good shape. The sleeve
flaps that hold the books cover about 3/4 of the book covers, which seems
adequate.

The stress is not all on the spine. When hanging, the books are supported
from both the front and back covers. There is not much difference between
this arrangement and a book standing on a bookshelf.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com