[BKARTS] decorative stamps

Can anyone tell me more about the decorative (metal) stamps that are used in
decorating leather bindings? I am interested in finding out if they can be
used on paper or book-cloth as well as leather (someone told me that would
damage them), and if so, should the same kind of gold leaf be used? Also,
what is the way of telling when they are hot enough to use if you are
heating them in an open flame? I have only used these stamps on leather an
in an electrically heated stamping device and in a studio situation that is
no longer available to me. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Richard Lewis