Re: [BKARTS] Using 'non-bookcloth' fabrics

1. When using PVA, does it not seep through and create a "plastic"
 coating/looking fabric?  Knowing what it makes traditional bookcloth look
 like when it happens to get on it, makes me worry about this.

Use the PVA sparingly. I use very little PVA, with no webbing. Let it dry for
a few minutes until tacky, making sure that there are no pools of glue or
globs anywhere - it has to be a thin consistent layer on the boards. Use a
piece of manila or cardstock on the spine to support the fabric in the
grooves. Lay the fabric lightly on the tacky glue, and press firmly with the
palms of your hands. This keeps any glue from seeping out of the pores of the
fabric, and keeps it looking crisp. Done right, you end up with a gorgeous
book. Done wrong, you end up with PVA seeping through the fabric, leaving dark
spots. It takes some practice to get a truly professional look. (my friends
loive it when I mess up though, they get free copies of our books).

2. When using the heat applied webbing, is this archival?  In sewing
applications I believe this is to be a temporary solution until a stitch
is made, how would this hold up over time?

I stopped using the stuff early on. I found that the adhesive is not
consistent, and tends to bubble or wrinkle in spots - not worth the hassle. A
little care can stop this from happening, using just PVA as mentioned above. I
don't know if its archival or not, ,but can tell you that the extra thickness
can be a blessing and a curse. I prefer a piecee of cardstock covering the
spine when casing in, which keeps the fabric sturdy in the grooves and against
the board. I press the cover seperately from the book until its dry, then case
in the textblock, and press it in the bookpress. Its a longer process, but a
bit of patience saves a lot of frustration later on.

3. Has anyone used wheat paste with such fabrics?  I've experimented with
it a bit making paste papers, but it is supposed to be much more "fabric
friendly" in that it doesn't discolor the fabric?

We do use wheat paste,  quite regularly. PVA has a stronger, longer lasting
effect, though, and the paste can often be far too wet to bother with. It also
takes longer to get the "tacky" effect - and can warp the boards faster than a
drybrushed PVA.

In Lvx,
R.L.Angus
Octavia & Co. Press