Re: [BKARTS] Using 'non-bookcloth' fabrics

Christian,

I highly recommend that you borrow, buy, or check out from the library the
book _Japanese Bookbinding: Instructions from a Master Craftsman_, by
Kojiro Kegami. It has most excellent instructions for backing fabric with
Oriental kozo paper.

I know that I repeat myself and the archives, but it's worth repeating.
The method is practically foolproof, easy, fun, and archival. I've never
had any trouble with glue seepage or separation.

Basically, you spread a thin layer of wheat paste (I've also used wheat
starch paste and rice starch paste) the consistency of mayonnaise over the
backing paper, which has been cut a little larger than the cloth to be
backed. Then lift the backing paper and place it paste-side down on the
cloth, which has been laid face-down, lightly sprayed with water and
smoothed flat. Remove any air bubbles and ensure adherence by brushing the
sandwich with a large dry brush or rolled-up towel.  Turn it over, add
more paste to the 4 margins of backing paper and then smooth the sandwich
onto a drying surface with the cloth side up. I use the plate-glass window
in our dining room. When it's dry, pull it off the drying surface and
voila! bookcloth.

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahasee, Florida

website:  mywebpages.comcast.net/callibeth