Re: [BKARTS] decorative stamps

Dear Richard,

I'm assuming that you are talking about brass finishing tools. They can
be used on leather, cloth, paper (and even your hand if you are not
careful!). On all of these, you can use gold leaf with a separate
adhesive, or gold foil which includes its own adhesive. If you are just
starting out, then gold foil is an easier and simpler solution. For
added adhesion, you can even cover the material with a thin layer of
synthetic glair such as Hewits and then use foil.

The correct temperature is determined by the sound of the "hiss" the
heated tool makes when it is cooled against a wad of wet cotton.
Knowing when the tool is at the correct temp. can be only gained
through practice. The temp also depends on weather conditions, what
adhesive/foil you are using and what material you are finishing on.
Some foils only work over a very narrow temp. range and are therefore
not practical for hand finishing, others work over a wide range of
temperatures (e.g. the one we sell) which makes it possible to use by
hand and setting the temp by the hissing sound.

If you can find a copy of John Mitchell's book on gold finishing, it
will be a great help to you.

I hope this helps,
Frank Lehmann
Lehmann Bindery