Re: [BKARTS] how to become a bookarts librarian

Hello.
I am a 24 year old graduate student in the Library and Information Science program at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. I decided to enroll in the program for the same reasons that you seem to be interested in. I also work part time in a book bindery in Ann Arbor, where I repair old books.
The LIS program that I am in does not have any specific classes for book conservation, which makes me sad, but I plan to get get an archival administration certificate along with my degree. The classes for archival administration cover conservation topics, but none are specifically for book conservation. There is an old photograph restoration class and I hear that they are adding a museum conservation class as well.
I plan to focus on academic libraries, and I think that such a focus combined with the archival certificate as well as my experience in a hand bindery will help me to get a job in an academic library with a fancy rare book collection that I can take care of.
It is my understanding that many academic libraries prefer to have librarians with two masters degrees, one LIS degree and one in a more specific field. I am considering moving to get a degree in bookbinding after I finish my MLIS.
You should check out the Wayne State website for their LIS program: www.lisp.wayne.edu
Also check out the ALA website (ala.org) for career information.
I really like it a lot and I feel like there are so many interesting jobs that one can have with an MLIS. Enrolling in library school is one of the best decisions I think I have made in my life. Please e-mail me if I can give you any information.

***********************************************
     The Bonefolder: an e-journal for the bookbinder and book artist

Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>