Re: [BKARTS] how to become a bookarts librarian

I'm glad you posted this.

I live in Connecticut and have been unable to find a conservation/preservation program. I have been taking as many workshops as I can afford and have convinced a binder to "apprentice" me, but I would love to know if there is a degree program available in the New England area that would offer the hands-on courses in conservation and preservation of books and paper. If not, perhaps some of you can share where you obtained your training.

Susan

Frances Castle wrote:

Hello.
I am a 24 year old graduate student in the Library and Information Science program at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. I decided to enroll in the program for the same reasons that you seem to be interested in. I also work part time in a book bindery in Ann Arbor, where I repair old books.
The LIS program that I am in does not have any specific classes for book conservation, which makes me sad, but I plan to get get an archival administration certificate along with my degree. The classes for archival administration cover conservation topics, but none are specifically for book conservation. There is an old photograph restoration class and I hear that they are adding a museum conservation class as well.

<snip good stuff>

***********************************************
    The Bonefolder: an e-journal for the bookbinder and book artist

Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>