Re: [BKARTS] how to become a book arts librarian

Thanks to everyone who has offered their perspectives on becoming a
librarian and the ways that book arts may/may not fit into it - I am just in
the initial stages of researching grad schools, so all of this information
on programs, and hearing all of your opinions, is really helpful.  I am
interested in some aspects of librarianship that are not necessarily
book-arts related; it's fascinating that there are so many avenues that
someone might take in the information sciences field.  But I may also look
at some of the options that include bookarts and/or conservation in the
curriculum - there are just so many ways to go.

I appreciate your thoughts on building a career too - that is something that
I didn't think about when choosing my undergrad courses and I am really
sorry I didn't.  Being a grownup (ugh!) with a family now, and seeing how
little I profit - in the literal sense - from my bachelor's, this is a
really important part of my grad school decision.  Becoming a librarian may
not make me rich, or even give me a salary comparable to my friends with
bachelor's degrees in marketing and accounting.  But, if my research is
reliable, I would be doing better than I am now as a receptionist, and I
think I would also be considerably happier with the work.

Please keep sending librarian-related thoughts and tips my way!

thanks, and happy new year,

Allison