[BKARTS] wrinkled endpapers

I'm having problems with my endpapers when I work on a flat backed leather book with no "french groove".  I think I should be pasting down the endpapers with the book open, but when I do that, they wrinkle at the hinge when I close the book.  I have been allowing the endpaper to dry for 1/2 hour, then closing. I am using a wheat starch paste.  Any suggestions thankfully rec'd.
Carole Vanderhoof
Lonely Pine Bindery
Rifton, NY