Re: [BKARTS] wrinkled endpapers

I apprenticed with a binder and former conservator (called restorers back then) from the Bibliotheque Nationale who insisted that the hinge be worked open.  What he taught me is what he was taught in his shop.  Perhaps it's part of the french style, or his french style.  It's what I learned and developed for myself and it works beautifully for me.  My experience is that closing the book is more of an English tradition.  It's also my personal taste and opinion that generally  (but not specifically) english binding tends to be more bulky and heavy handed than the french or german.  I have always found the french bindings to have the most subtlety and finesse in finish especially in relation to the board opening, while also having spines that were so lined with paper (for a smooth hard back) that they couldn't be flexibly opened- which I admit is a major flaw unless the idea is to produce an "object".
     Of course by now, with all our information, there is no reason not to synthesize one's own personal and particular repitoire of skills and structures to be drawn on for a particular situation.

B

***********************************************
     The Bonefolder: an e-journal for the bookbinder and book artist

Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>