Re: [BKARTS] Cotton gloves : an alternative.

Amy-
When we have open houses at the University of Iowa Center for the Book,
we always have lots of books out for viewing. We put out packets of
handiwipes so people may clean their hands without being sent away to
the distant washrooms. I have always found the white gloves more of a
problem than a help, even dextrous people are clumsy when wearing them,
as mentioned by Philip Zimmerman.
Emily Martin

Emily Martin The Naughty Dog Press 742 7th Avenue South Iowa City, IA 52240 USA 319 338-7266 319 338-5741 (fax) http://www.emilymartin.com emilyjmartin@xxxxxxxxx The University of Iowa Center for the Book emily-martin@xxxxxxxxx On Jan 6, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Philip Zimmermann wrote:

Amy-

Some years ago I took one of my book classes to visit the Museum of
Modern
Art Library Annex on West 45th St. in NYC. Anne Britton was the
archivist
there at that time, and she was accessioning the large Franklin Furnace
Archive of artists' books that MoMA had recently purchased from Martha
Wilson.

She was, as usual, extremely helpful in bringing out a terrific sample
of
interesting book works from the MoMA collection for my class to look
at. She
allowed all the students to handle the books. This is obviously the
only way
to really appreciate any artists' book.

I expected her to require all the students to don the ubiquitous white
cotton gloves which was (and is) standard procedure for viewers.
Instead she
asked that all the students go into the restroom and wash their hands
well
with soap and water. Anne explained that they had discovered that many
of
their books were being damaged by visitors when they used cotton gloves
since it is so hard to feel and turn pages when wearing them. In many
cases,
she said, pages were getting "half-moon" kinks from people trying to
separate the individual pages so that the next leaf could be turned.

Obviously having visitors all go and wash their hands may not be
always be
practical, especially in a gallery setting, but I think it is worth
reconsidering always using cotton gloves. In many cases washing hands
is
easily done, and not only is it better for the books, but it also makes
handling artist's books a much nicer experience for the viewer.

Philip Zimmermann