From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
DanceMarathon1@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 8:28 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Greasy Paws

Philip-
I appreciate your information as despite providing gloves and placing
signs=20 requesting people=20 PLEASE DO NOT HANDLE, they do, don't they?
At presentations, as dramatically= =20 possible I tell my favorite
horror story of personally putting on handcream=20 before showing a
book, and permanently fingerprinting it. There's usually  =20= a=20 wave
of oohs in the audience--yet, there are still those that just pick up t=
he=20 books anyway in their greasy paws.

Now, the question is how to get everyone to wash their hands. How about
thos= e=20 handcleaners with alcohol?=20

A L I C E * S I M P S O N
D A N C E M A R A T H O N
http://www.craftsreport.com/february03/profile.html

> From:=A0 =A0 Philip Zimmermann <pzimmermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Cotton gloves : an alternative.
>=20
> Amy-
>=20
> Some years ago I took one of my book classes to visit the Museum of
>Modern  Art Library Annex on West 45th St. in NYC. Anne Britton was the

>archivist  there at that time, and she was accessioning the large
>Franklin Furnace  Archive of artists' books that MoMA had recently
>purchased from Martha  Wilson. =20
> She was, as usual, extremely helpful in bringing out a terrific sample
of
> interesting book works from the MoMA collection for my class to look
at. S=
he
> allowed all the students to handle the books. This is obviously the
> only w=
ay
> to really appreciate any artists' book.
>=20
> I expected her to require all the students to don the ubiquitous white

>cotton gloves which was (and is) standard procedure for viewers.
>Instead s=
he
> asked that all the students go into the restroom and wash their hands
> well with soap and water. Anne explained that they had discovered that

> many of their books were being damaged by visitors when they used
> cotton gloves since it is so hard to feel and turn pages when wearing
> them. In many case=
s,
> she said, pages were getting "half-moon" kinks from people trying to
>separate the individual pages so that the next leaf could be turned.
>=20  Obviously having visitors all go and wash their hands may not be
>always be  practical, especially in a gallery setting, but I think it
>is worth  reconsidering always using cotton gloves. In many cases
>washing hands is  easily done, and not only is it better for the books,

>but it also makes  handling artist's books a much nicer experience for
>the viewer. =20
> Philip Zimmermann
>=20

                                   =20