Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:10:31 -0700
From: Margaret Lammerts <ed.marg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] the right glue

Good morning everyone

I would like to ask a question about glue.... although this question is not about glue use for a book, but perhaps it could be for an innovative bookbinder..

This involves the plastic vertical blinds over my sons patio doors.
He had this great idea of cutting a poster into 3 1/4 inch strips and
gluing to the vanes.
This we did yesterday......and I cooked up a batch of wheat paste for
the job.
It looked  fabulous when done...
But it was a short-lived grand idea...
2 hrs. later, the paper was becoming undone and it looked to me I should
have slopped the glue onto the plastic instead of onto the poster
strips. Son wanted to be able to "undo" this process should he tire of
the idea or move.
So now I'm thinking, the paper stretched and shrunk in the drying process.

Do you have any idea what would be a good glue for this process, as I am
prepared to re-do this idea the right way with the right glue.
Methyl cellulose?

margaret in alberta
freezing  at  minus 40F

but I couldn't tell you about how long lasting or
archival that glue is. PVA has always worked for me, although the wheat
paste method may be more archival. I don't have as much experience with
it,
and certainly not for this process.

                Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>