[BKARTS] Workshops at Florida Atlantic University

We have a number of great book arts workshops planned for the coming weeks
at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, where blizzards are things we
only know by the pictures we see on TV. All of these workshops are part of
our current exhibit, "Stand & Deliver: Engineering Sculpture into a Book
Format."

In February, we welcome British paper engineer Paul Johnson:

1. "A Box of Fireworks"
     Thursday, February 10, 2005, 1pm to 4pm
     Construct an origami box and an extending pop-up book that "grows"
out of it.
     $45 ($35 FAU students), including materials

2. "The Book as Picture: The Permanently Open Page"
     Friday, February 11, 2005, 1pm to 7pm
     Construct a 3-D book that hangs on the wall instead of sits on a shelf.
     $83 ($53 FAU students), including materials

3. "Making Movable Books in the Classroom"
     Saturday, February 12, 2005, 10am to 5pm
     Techniques for unlocking kids' verbal and visual ideas through the
book arts.
     $90 ($65 FAU students), including materials

4. "Making Surprise Filled Pop-Up Books with Children"
     Sunday, February 13, 2005, 10am to 5pm
     Learn dozens of different book models that make learning fun for
children.
     $90 ($65 FAU students), including materials

In early March, we welcome Emily Martin from the University of Iowa Center
for the Book:

1. "Changing Wheels, Image Dissolves and Slides"
     Saturday, March 5, 2005, 10am to 4pm
     Paper engineering techniques that turn one image into another.
     $95 ($65 FAU students), including materials

2. "Flexagons"
     Sunday, March 6, 2005, 10am to 4pm
     Books that conceal faces that appear, disappear and reappear!
     $95 ($65 FAU students), including materials

And in mid March, we welcome Ohio book artist Val Van Sice:

1. "Papyrus Making"
     Friday, March 18, 2005, 10am to 4pm
     Learn one of the earliest solutions to making writing portable.
     $90 ($60 FAU students), including materials

2. "The Book as Vessel"
     Saturday, March 19, 2005, 10am to 4pm
     Learn four book structures from China, India, Latin America and Japan.
     $85 ($55 FAU students), including materials

These descriptions are meant only as gentle teasers. For full details on
each class, as well as registration information, click on the link below.
This will take you to our fledgling new website, where you'll see a link
for "Folio: The Book Arts News at FAU Libraries." And if you are indeed
planning to register, I'd suggest sending me an email at <jcutrone@xxxxxxx>
so I can reserve a seat for you; some workshops are filling up fast!

John

John Cutrone The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library Boca Raton, Florida