[BKARTS] Should I avoid this?

Dear Book_Arts participants:
  In recasing old books--- ca 1870 or thereabouts--- I occasionally find
the base of the spine inside the cover painted with a green substance.
I thinking it could be Paris Green--- cupric acetoarsenate--- applied as
an anti-vermin measure.  Does anyone know for sure what it is?  Since
that substance is quite toxic, and I remove old glue by sanding, I'm
wondering whether I should exercise caution.
Thanks,
Jet

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.