Re: [BKARTS] Leather Paring Knives

It depends on how large an area you need to pare. If you are paring more
than just an edge, the spokeshave (IMHO) is really the best. You can get a
decent spokeshave from a good hardware store or woodworker's supplier, but
it will need some modifications, and you will need to resharpen the blade.
You can also use the Scharf-Fix or Brockman paring tools. The Scharf-Fix/
Brockman tools are much more expensive and have their own learning curve,
but you can pare off much thicker pieces in much less time.
In my experience, I only use the English style knife for repairs, the French
knife for edge paring and sometimes for paring small areas and onlays. I
have also used the Swiss knife for the same stuff as the French. It is
really a matter of taste and training.