Re: [BKARTS] Straightening pages

I've done this with some success, and the edges become reasonably
flattened.  I've not had problems  with the leaves blocking together,
but I suppose there is always a first time.  The books I've worked on
did not have coated paper, which is most at risk for sticking.  The
page edges may not return to perfection, but there is always
improvement.

Set up a plastic box for humidifying the book slightly.  A photo tray
with a glass pane for the cover will work, or a baking dish large
enough to hold the book off the bottom.  Or a rubbermaid box with a
clip-on lid.  Pour a cup or two of water into the bottom, lay a clean
trivet or plate on the bottom to keep the book above the water, and lay
the book on the trivet.  cover the box or tray and leave it alone for
up to a day.  Instead of water, you can use a wet blotter on the tray
bottom.

I usually begin checking the progress of dampness after a couple of
hours.  When I think there is enough "softening" of the paper edges
from humidity, I remove the book from the chamber and clamp it between
boards in a press, screwing the platen down as tightly as I can get it.
 Mind the shoulders, if the book is hardbound.  Leave it in the press
for at least a day; I've let it press two days, checking it midway.

You can lay blotters on the book before pressing, if you want, but I've
not always done that, since nothing becomes more than minimally
humidified and drying is really not an issue.  If the weather is
warmish, I mix the water with isopropyl (1:1 or 1:2), hoping to
forestall mold formation and take the book out sooner.

After pressing once, if there is less improvement than I'd like, I'll
do the process a second time.

Hope this helps.

Carol
Eugene, OR