Re: [BKARTS] oxidizing metal

On Feb 7, 2005, at 10:15 PM, Rebecca Shaffer wrote:

I have explored the potential of metals and manipulating their
surfaces.  It is not something that can or should be done without
caution, careful controls, and certain knowledge.
******************************
A number of yeas ago, I needed to antique some new brass corner pieces
for a book that had just been completed. The new pieces were simply the
basic shape of the remaining original corners, as no attempt was made
to engrave or duplicate the originals precisely.
In order to match the color of the originals, I simply applied a
matching color of Fiebing's leather dye in a mottled pattern. The end
result was quite satisfying. Obviously, if anyone were to apply alcohol
to the new pieces, the dye would be removed, but the corners still
looked good some ten years later.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695