Re: [BKARTS] Leather Paring Knives

Following the paring knife thread...I use a (woodworker's) plane blade,
hollow ground Swedish or Japanese steel, which was custom ground to my specs by a
knife maker. He shaped the blade to a long, low angle. This keeps a great edge
and just requires honing. I've used the same knife for more than 15 years, and
have never had to regrind it. The shank is simply wrapped in leather to fit
my hand. There is no attached handle, just the body of the plane blade. The
cutting edge is gently rounded, like the French knife that TALAS carries, but
without the angle at each edge.

The Garrett Wade catalogue has a good selection of Japanese plane blades,
among other fine tools. Their website is www.garrettwade.com.

Paula Marie Gourley
Lilyhouse Studio Editions
Fine Hand Bookbinding - Fine Handcrafted Soaps
P.O. Box 50382
Eugene, Oregon 97405
lilyhousestudio@xxxxxxx