Re: [BKARTS] Methyl cellulose source

On Feb 11, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Marty Hartford wrote:

I'd be interested in suggestions on where to purchase methyl cellulose.
Are there brand names?
******************************
I mentioned earlier that I was looking for Dow Chemical's A4C (i.e.
400) or A15C for paper sizing.
I have just found a source at:
Carriage House Handmade Paper Works, Brooklyn, NY --- 718-599-7857

The last I checked, BOOKMAKERS near Washington, DC --- 301-604-7787,
carried the Dow Chemical A4M (i.e. 4000) which is the longer molecule
type of methyl cellulose. It is suitable as an adhesive and as an
additive to PVA.

I might add that if anyone has any further information about using the
different types of methyl cellulose for sizing, or as an adhesive that
you please speak up. I feel that I am out on a limb with my limited
information about this.
In fact, on one occasion, I obtained a sample of K100M (i.e. 100,000),
but have only used it for experimentation.

Thanks,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695