From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Randolph Huebsch
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 4:22 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: leather-like material

I know I'm in the non-leather minority here, but: if people have access to
an etching press (maybe letterpress would work too) try embossing on Canson
mi-teinte, with linocutter-carved linoleum--a very nice leather-like effect
can be obtained.  Dampen the paper first, then sponge.  Middle-value colors
are best, like amber and burgandy.  Hint: for carving unmounted linoleum
(often called "battleship linoleum" in art stores), try slightly heating it
first--a hot plate is good, even a heating pad will do. I've heard of using
an oven, but caution with that.  Heating softens the lino.

Rand

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>