[BKARTS] question about leatherworking

hello, list -

i'm new here & have been lurking for but a few days. hi!

i'm a bookbinder in montreal & work mostly in french. I also work
with a woman who does maroquinerie and also gainerie - and we were
wondering if there are translations for those two terms into english?
particularly for _la gainerie_, which is covering a surface in a thin
layer of leather, usually the surface of a piece of furniture, but
also boxes, other objets (quivers, etc). Well known in Europe, this
seems to be a forgotten or even unremembered art here in North
America...

we've both done a fair bit of research on this but haven't come up
with anything...

any ideas out there?
thanks for any tips!

fran