Re: [BKARTS] question about leatherworking

thanks Kevin, for your research.

it is unfortunate that there are a number of "metier" terms in french
that simply do not translate to english in any way.

I knew already that neither of these terms refer to bookbinding in
any way - i'm sorry i was not clear in stating that. it's that i work
with a woman who does both maroquinerie and gainerie, and we've been
looking for terms that translate well into English.

gainerie, for those who are interested, is indeed case making, but it
is also the process of covering in leather of any rigid,
un-upholstered article - that could be furniture, blinds (like room
screens), tables and table tops, lamps, boxes... the list is pretty
much endless.

thanks again,
fran

According to Grand dictionnaire terminologique
http://www.granddictionnaire.com/btml/fra/r_motclef/index1024_1.asp run
by Quebec's Office de la language francaise,
"maroquinerie" is "leather trade", i.e. it refers to the manufacture and
sales of leather goods. The word appears (at least to me) to originate
from "Maroc" which is the french name for Morocco.
"gainerie" is generally described there as the application of leather to
a rigid frame, and the translation "case making" is given, although it
is not clear if this refers to cases for books, pencil cases, suitcases,
or some other type of case.

They don't seem to have direct translations for either term which
specifically refers to bookbinding.
-Kevin Martin
 the Papertrail

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>