[BKARTS] gold leaf question

I am doing hand tooling on calf using egg white.  I am having some trouble with the leaf flaking off.  Now, I know that the problem could be anything from the glair being too dry to the tool being too hot, so I am trying to eliminate the causes.  But first I'd like to know if I have the best gold leaf for the job...I don't really understand what I am buying... can someone tell me exactly what kind of gold leaf you get and who you buy it from? I don't mind the price if I can get good results.  So what thickness, etc. should I be getting?