Re: [BKARTS] Colleague in Santa Barbara to fix an embarrassing error

In the past, ew've worked on books of a similar nature. I've found that
burried cords doesn't work too well, but the method known as
"Smyth-sewn" seems to work for us quite well.

Cutting notches into the spine, burying the cords in a "sewn" fashion,
and then applying PVA. Use paper to cover the cords and the spine, and
then let dry in a press. Apply the score lines to the cover, usually
about a centimetre from the spine of the book, so the cover opens
nicely, without applying pressure to the spine itself. I originally
discovered this mehtod online, and it works okay. We use a cover made
from 40# cardstock. The Spine itself doesn't need to be glued down, only
the bit that attaches the book to the cover...about a centimetre or so
from the spine itself.

I would have preferred to use a perfect binding machine myself, but have
found this is far too expensive right now.

R.L.Angus
Octavia & Co. Press
Octavia Occult . Com
3112 - 28th Ave SW