Re: [BKARTS] Colleague in Santa Barbara to fix an embarrassing error

hi Jules -

i'm not in Santa Barbara... but... did you use mull to reinforce the
pva? here, in montreal, we glue then place a layer of mull, then glue
again. pretty much nothing takes that apart, unless something's
sloppy in the gluing: the spine isn't equal or pressed firmly enough
after the glue is applied... once dry, a layer of paper is applied
(depends on how the mull & the cover glue together. sometimes not
well, so we use a layer of paper in this case)... depending on which
type of construction we use (bradel or perfect bound). but the glued
spines tend to stay together with this method.

best,
fran

Is there someone on the list in Santa Barbara who can fix this for me. I
made a perfect-bound full color copy of Mad Laughter for a client.
Evidently I did something wrong and -- horrible shame -- it fell apart
on arrival.

I guess the text block was too heavy for the simple PVA glueing method I
used. It's worked just fine in the past. I am going to reinforce it with
buried cords the next time I make one of these. I was trying to be too
literally faithful to the concept of the trade paperback.

I would really appreciate it if someone could get in touch with me
off-list about repairing the binding.

--
Cancun User's Guide 2005 http://www.lulu.com/jules

http://www.newsroom-l.net/blog