Re: [BKARTS] Colleague in Santa Barbara to fix an embarrassing error

fran sendbuehler wrote:
hi Jules -

i'm not in Santa Barbara... but... did you use mull to reinforce the
pva? here, in montreal, we glue then place a layer of mull, then glue
again. pretty much nothing takes that apart, unless something's
sloppy in the gluing: the spine isn't equal or pressed firmly enough
after the glue is applied... once dry, a layer of paper is applied
(depends on how the mull & the cover glue together. sometimes not
well, so we use a layer of paper in this case)... depending on which
type of construction we use (bradel or perfect bound). but the glued
spines tend to stay together with this method.

I relied on just the PVA and it was a mistake that I won't make again. I also think that I didn't give the glue enough time to set before sending the book off to a drastically different climate. The basic problem is that it's an inch thick and a heavy paper. I failed to take the weight of the text block into consideration in my desire to create a more aesthetically pleasing result.

Thanks for writing. This was a very embarrassing experience -- but I
learned my lesson, believe me.

--
Cancun User's Guide 2005 http://www.lulu.com/jules

http://www.newsroom-l.net/blog