From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don
Rash
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:12 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: gold leaf question

A caveat: I'm not nearly the finisher I'd like. That being said...

>Carole Vanderhoof wrote:
> Yes, I paste washed with thin wheat paste.
Good.Do you add any vinegar to the pastewash?

>I have been using a shellac based glaire for the last year, and would
now like to switch to egg white.  The egg >white seems to take forever
to dry, so perhaps I am putting it on too thick.
Are you using a particular recipe for your egg glaire? And as Doug said,
it needs to be whipped, sit overnight and then strained.

> How do you put it on and how long does it take to dry for you?  I put one
coat on & it took 45 min, then the
>next coat another 45. I am using two coats because calf is porous, right??
This may be a significant part of your problem. Egg glaire should be
tooled while still tacky. Then there are two approaches to the actual
tooling: first, glaire the entire panel, lay leaf on and tool through
it; or, blind tool first, paint the glaire into the impressions with a
small brush, pick up the gold on your tool and go back into the
impression.
Did you have the same sort of problem when you were using shellac glaire?

Don Rash

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>