From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don
Rash
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:21 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: gold leaf question

Signa Houghteling wrote:

> I'm interested to know about the technique of putting glaire and  gold
leaf
> all over, and then tooling.  Can somebody go through the steps for me, and
> please include how you clean it up after tooling?

I've done it with shellac glaire. After the pastewash is dry glaire out
the panel. When the glaire is dry take just a tiny bit of vaseline and
apply to the panel. Cut the gold and lay one or two layers onto the
panel and pat down with a ball of cotton. Tool through the leaf. Most of
the excess leaf can be rubbed off with a cotton ball. Some references
recommend using lighter fluid to remove the excess glaire and leaf.
Masking tape works, too.

Don

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>