Re: [BKARTS] Colleague in Santa Barbara to fix an embarrassing error

Bill,
That is exactly what I was going to suggest, and we sell just the small
machine to do a simple double fan binding.  It is a press made by Louet
and is essentially a press that would hold a text block vertically, and
has the ability to fan out the top section of text block in either
direction while keeping the lower portion of the block clamped
stationary.  Then once adhesive has been fanned in either direction, it
is locked back into the vertical position for drying.

For those who are not familiar with this method, the fanning of the
pages allows an ever so small amount of adhesive to fall in between the
pages, rather than simply applying it to the end of clamped text block
where the cross sectional thickness of the paper is all that is holding
it all together.

You can find this press on our web site here:
http://nt.bnt.com/talas/menu.html?category=112&product=1997

Regards,
Aaron Salik
Talas
20 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
212-219-0770 Phone
212-219-0735 Fax
http://talasonline.com

******************************
It does not appear that anyone has suggested the "Double-Fan Adhesive"
technique --- where the pages are clamped and fanned in one direction
and adhesive applied, and then the same in the opposite direction. This
allows for a small amount of adhesive to get on the edge of each leaf
rather than relying on penetration between the leaves.
We also reinforce with a thread set into a small "dove-tail notch"
sawn-in.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695