Re: [BKARTS] Colleague in Santa Barbara to fix an embarrassing error

William Minter wrote:

It does not appear that anyone has suggested the "Double-Fan Adhesive"
technique --- where the pages are clamped and fanned in one direction
and adhesive applied, and then the same in the opposite direction. This
allows for a small amount of adhesive to get on the edge of each leaf
rather than relying on penetration between the leaves.
We also reinforce with a thread set into a small "dove-tail notch"
sawn-in.

This is a technique that I usually carry out, but somehow failed to do on this job. In general, I rushed it. But that's how we learn. I won't ever forget this one.

the "double-fan adhesive" is the technique i was thinking about (but didn't name) when i talked about reinforcement of the spine with mull - this is how we glue before placing the mull. but i did not know the name for the technique - i work largely in french & am short on the terms in English!

(so pardon my french, literally!)

best,
fran

--