[BKARTS] linen and cotton comments

Years ago Bill Minter got book conservators thinking -- as he often
does about different techniques and materials. That time it was about
cloth used for bookbinding. He had adhered various types of cloth
samples in the hinge of the door of his favorite and very popular
local diner to see which material would undergo the most folds as the
door opened and closed. Well, the linen broke before the cotton. This
was startling "news"  to me since I had assumed that linen is the
most durable, the most etc. In follow up conversations with textile
conservators, I found that they preferred to use cotton rather than
linen for repairs that would be flexed a lot over the years. And,
recently, Friederike Zimmern performed some analytical tests  on the
fold endurance of aerocotton (90,000 or 71,500 folds) and aerolinen
(16,000 folds) until the cloth samples tore. The info is in her
article "Board Slotting: A Machine-Supported Book Conservation
Method" http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v19/bp19-25.html
I am sure that quality and processing methods influence the
durability of either material. Though we still use linen sometimes,
mostly we use cotton in book structures that flex.

Olivia Primanis
Book Conservator
Ransom Center, University of Texas

Some more online resources for research in conservation topics that I had gathered after the thread on bleaching follow.

There are many articles in the conservation literature on the
bleaching of paper.  The "Bleaching" chapter of the Paper
Conservation Catalog gives an overview of the procedures and problems
that can result from the use of many of the chemicals used for
bleaching. It is available in print, through the AIC
http://aic.stanford.edu/library/print/index.html
"Recent Scientific Research In Paper Conservation" by Dianne Van Der
Reyden has an extensive bibliography on the topic including info on
light bleaching, which,  today, is the technique generally, although
rarely, used by institutional conservators.
http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/articles/jaic31-01-014_4.html

I found other full- length articles evaluating the use of specific
chemicals and techniques in the online JAIC (Journal of the American
Institute for Conservation) http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/ and the AIC
-Book and Paper Group Annual at
http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/   I used the search terms
"paper & bleach".

Two other great databases on the Web listing articles on the
conservation, preservation, and restoration of cultural property are
BCIN and AATA online. These are wonderful resources that provide
bibliographic info and abstracts on publications.

Bibliographic Database of the Conservation Information Network (BCIN)
BCIN provides access to over 190,000 bibliographic citations for conservation
http://www.bcin.ca/English/home_english.html

AATA Online is a comprehensive database of 100,000 abstracts of
literature related to the preservation and conservation of material
cultural heritage.
http://aata.getty.edu/NPS/

"CAMEO is a searchable encyclopedia developed at the Conservation and Collections Management Department at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. CAMEO contains chemical, physical, visual, and analytical information on over 10,000 historic and contemporary materials used in the conservation, preservation, and production of artistic, architectural, and archaeological materials." http://www.mfa.org/_cameo/frontend/ If you do not have library access to the periodicals, individual articles often can be ordered through these web sites via Document Delivery.

Olivia

Olivia Primanis, book conservator
Ransom Center,  UT, Austin, Texas